MARIN, Switzerland -- EM Microelectronic announces the EM4423, the world’s first RFID circuit featuring a UHF EPC Gen2V2 RF and an NFC Type 2interface. The EM4423 is uniquely suited for manufacturers/brands which are compelled to support EPC functionality for retail logistics and inventory control, but who also want to communicate directly with the consumer for marketing and advertising, product authenticity, and product registration on a per-item level.
With common rewritable memory areas, a common Unique Identifier (UID) and value-added privacy and security features, the EM4423 also simplifies adoption of EPC inventory control procedures by smaller retailers who are not willing or able to make the substantial investment required for specialized RFID equipment and software. Similar functionality can be achieved through the use of mobile devices, such as smartphones and tablets and applications.
As a single chip NFC/EPC solution with common memory, the new device offers several unique and valuable capabilities:
• One-step NFC/EPC inlay manufacturing
• Dual-interface memory access (NFC and/or EPC)
• EPC for fast data collection & long range
• NFC access to consumer data and secured access (e.g. digital signature for tag and product authenticity)
• NFC field powering option for increased UHF performance and reading range
• NFC access counter readable through EPC air interface
• Enhanced privacy features including EPC Gen2V2 “UNTRACEABLE” command
• Large User Data - more than 2Kbit
“With its unique feature set, combining traditional EPC Gen2 logistics capabilities with the customer-focused benefits of NFC, the EM4423 is creating quite a bit of excitement with our RFID customers,” commented Michel Willemin, CEO of EM Microelectronic. “By enabling a low-cost, unified solution for logistics and marketing, EM brings value to and simplifies the lives of both small retailers and product manufacturers looking to differentiate their products.”