San Francisco, CA -- OFC Technical Conference 2014 - Broadcom Corporation announced the industry's first IEEE 802.3bj compliant physical layer devices (Lite-PHYs). Designed for the next generation 100G datacenter and enterprise front panel and backplane interconnect applications, the low-power 28 nanometer (nm) BCM8207x and BCM8238x Lite-PHYs support 4X25G backplane and line cards for the rollout of 100 Gigabit per second (Gbps) switches. For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
Developed in response to the rapid growth of server, network and internet traffic, the IEEE 802.3bj standard meets the need for higher data rates over backplanes and copper cables for 100 Gbps throughput. The new generation of low-power high density PHYs enables customers to design IEEE 802.3bj-compliant 100G products that support 100GBase-CR4/SR4/LR4 on the front panel and 100GBase-KR4 on the backplane.
"Broadcom's latest Lite-PHY devices pave the way for the development of 100 Gbps switches that support the high speed requirements of the most technologically-advanced cloud and mobility infrastructure environments as well as rich video content," said Lorenzo Longo, Broadcom Vice President and General Manager of Physical Layer Products. "Our 802.3bj compliant Lite-PHYs enable OEMS and carriers to meet ever increasing traffic requirements by providing the needed performance and low power efficiency."
The BCM8207x and BCM8238x are low power and integrate high performance equalizer functions to support 100 Gigabit over Ethernet (GbE), as well as 10 GbE and 40 GbE applications. The BCM8207x Lite-PHY is optimized to enable high bandwidth and dense backplane interconnect while the BCM8238x Lite-PHY is optimized to drive CFP2/CFP4/QSFP28 optical modules.
The BCM8207x and BCM8238x integrate AC-coupling capacitors on all high-speed receivers. Adaptive equalization on both the host and line side interfaces compensate for channel loss across long PCB traces and across backplanes and twin-ax DAC cables. The devices include support for IEEE 802.3bj Clause 91 Forward Error Correction (FEC) standard.
• Single/Dual CAUI4-to-KR4 100GbE port supporting 100GBase-KR4 (4x25G) NRZ backplane applications
• XLAUI -to-KR4 port supporting 40GBase-KR4 backplane retimer/ equalization applications
• IEEE 802.3bj Clause 93 100GbE-KR4 transmit training; IEEE 802.3ap Clause 72 10G-KR transmit training
• Supports >35dB Channel loss
• Single/Dual CAUI4 -to-CAUI4 100GbE port supporting 100GBase-CR4/SR4/LR4
• XLAUI -to-XLPPI supporting 40GBase-CR4/SR4/LR4
• Seamless module IO controls to CFP2/CFP4/QSFP28
• IEEE 802.3bj Clause 92 100GbE-CR4 transmit training; IEEE 802.3baClause 85 40GbE-CR4 transmit training
The BCM8207x and BCM8232x are now sampling. See Broadcom's portfolio of networking solutions for data center and enterprise on the OFC show floor at booth #530 located in the Corporate Village 2.
For more information, go to http://www.broadcom.com