Western Digital’s Ultrastar DC HC530 hard drive provides a 14-TB storage capacity, allegedly more than any other conventional magnetic recording (CMR) hard drive in the industry. Built on the company’s fifth-generation HelioSeal technology, the drive is designed for public and private cloud environments where storage density, watt/TB and $/TB are critical parameters for creating cost-efficient infrastructure.
The data explosion caused by big data, IoT, artificial intelligence, machine learning, rich content and fast data applications is challenging hyperscale cloud data centers and enterprises to efficiently build massive petabyte-scale infrastructures. This ability to cost-effectively scale-up or scale-out is business critical, not only for cloud service providers but for organizations leveraging big data analytics and machine learning in medical, science, agriculture and other fields seeking innovation, discoveries and unique insights, as well as for creating new business models.
A follow-on to the industry’s first 14TB SMR shingled magnetic recording (SMR) drive, the Ultrastar DC HC530 is a 14TB CMR drive that delivers drop-in simplicity for random write workloads in enterprise and cloud data centers. Since 2014, the company’s unique, patented HelioSeal process seals helium in the drive to provide capacity, power efficiency, and long-term reliability.
Features and Specs
- HelioSeal: Western Digital’s fifth generation helium-based drives, based on the exclusive HelioSeal technology
- Available with either 12Gb/s SAS or 6Gb/s SATA interface
- Two Dimensional Magnetic Recording (TDMR) and improved Dual Stage Micro Actuator provides optimal head positioning and rotational vibration robustness
- Data Protection: Helps protect end user data with encryption (Self Encrypting Drive)
- Reliability: MTBF rating at 2.5M hours
For even greater enlightenment, peruse the Ultrastar DC HC530 datasheet.