Green Hills Software has integrated u-blox automotive connectivity and positioning technology with its Platform for Secure Connected Car. Green Hills’ INTEGRITY real-time operating system and Multivisor secure virtualization provide the software foundation and impenetrable partitions to securely and safely combine Linux-based connected car services with critical application and vehicle bus services using u-blox portfolio of connectivity modules. The mass integration fits in a single Electronic Control Unit (ECU). The Platform enables vehicle manufacturers and their suppliers to leverage open-source software while providing high levels of system flexibility, scalability, and performance without compromising system safety or security.
Industry experts expect a quarter of a billion connected cars on the road in two years. The connected car’s Telematics Control Unit (TCU), commonly called a “shark fin,” must possess absolute embedded device security to confidently manage both general and vehicle / life critical data:
- Incoming data from outside the vehicle to the vehicle’s gateway for automated driving, infotainment and OTA updates to vehicle firmware
- Transmission to other cars, roadside units, emergency calls centers and insurance services
u-blox provides the essential positioning, short-range wireless and cellular radio technologies, while Green Hills provides the foundational safe and secure embedded run-time software environment required to secure next-generation high speed, complex Connected Car modules. u-blox enables automotive OEMs to address and conquer some of the key challenges faced by the Secure Connected Car today and in the future, by providing flexibility, scalability, and superior performance:
- In-vehicle cellular connectivity is provided by the TOBY-L4 LTE Cat 6 Modem series, enabling additional computing and / or routing performance as needed from a select set of automotive-grade SoCs.
- u-blox’s uCPU Linux-based application environment makes configuration across platforms simple and flexible. This allows customers to seamlessly migrate between platforms that require various levels of performance and future-proofs applications as cellular technologies evolve.
- uCPU contains pre-configured SoC BSPs based on INTEGRITY and Multivisor, in addition to full out-of-the-box pre-integration with u-blox’s complementary Automotive GNSS and wireless products, both in terms of hardware and software. Key open source software packages are integrated with uCPU and fully support the u-blox products, accelerating time-to-market and lowering end project risks.