CUPERTINO, CA /BUSINESS WIRE/ -- Apple announced iOS 7, featuring a completely redesigned, stunning new user interface, which will be available starting Wednesday, September 18, to iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch users as a free software update. iOS 7 has hundreds of great new features, including Control Center, Notification Center, improved multitasking, AirDrop, enhanced Photos, Safari, Siri, and it introduces iTunes Radio, a free Internet radio service based on the music you listen to on iTunes. In addition, iOS 7 has been engineered with deep technical and design integration with both iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c.
"iOS 7 is completely redesigned with an entirely new user interface and over 200 new features, so it's like getting a brand new device, but one that will still be instantly familiar to our users," said Craig Federighi, Apple's Senior Vice President of Software Engineering. "Next month, we'll be shipping our 700 millionth iOS device, and we're excited about what our hundreds of thousands of iOS developers are doing to bring great new features to their apps."
Apple engineered iOS 7 to take full advantage of the advanced 64-bit technologies in iPhone 5s, including the native 64-bit kernel, libraries, and drivers. All the built-in apps have been re-engineered for 64 bit, and iOS 7 provides a seamless developer transition with Xcode support and the ability to run both 32-bit and 64-bit apps. iOS 7 also provides deep integration with the new Touch ID sensor and takes full advantage of the new iSight camera sensor to enable new features like automatic image stabilization, Burst Mode, and Slo-Mo video, with 120 fps. Combined with the new camera app in iOS 7, iPhone 5s provides up to two-times faster auto-focus, faster photo capture, and better dynamic range. iOS 7 is designed to complement the gorgeous exteriors of iPhone 5c, with matching wallpapers and translucency that carry the color through the entire experience.
With more than 200 new features, iOS 7 for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch includes:
- Control Center which gives you quick access to the controls you want in one convenient place with just one swipe from the bottom of your screen.
- Notification Center, now available from the lock screen, lets you see all your notifications with a simple swipe, and the new Today feature gives you an at-a-glance view of your day, with a summary of important details, such as weather, traffic, meetings, and events.
- Improved multitasking gives users the ability to switch between their apps in a more visual and intuitive way, and iOS 7 pays attention to which apps you use most and automatically keeps your content up to date in the background.
- AirDrop provides an entirely new way to quickly and easily share content with people nearby.
- The new camera app provides filters that let you add real-time photo effects and offers a square camera option, and you can quickly and easily switch between your four cameras—video, photo, square, and panorama—with just a swipe.
- A redesigned Photos app that introduces Moments, a new way to automatically organize your photos and videos based on time and location.
- Safari's redesigned user interface provides full-screen browsing, a new smart search field that helps simplify searching, and a new view for your bookmarks and your Safari tabs.
- Siri now has new male and female voices, Twitter search integration, Wikipedia integration, and Bing Web searching within the app.
- iTunes Radio, a free Internet radio service, features over 200 stations and an incredible catalog of music from the iTunes Store, combined with features only iTunes can deliver.
Additional new iOS 7 features include FaceTime audio for high-quality calls over a data network; new ringtones, alarms, alerts, and system sounds; and a new Find My iPhone Activation Lock that requires your Apple ID and password before you can turn off Find My iPhone, erase data, or re-activate a device after it's been remotely erased.
iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch customers have access to the revolutionary App Store, which offers more than 900,000 apps in 155 countries around the world. iOS 7 now features Popular Apps Near Me, a new way to find apps based on your current location, and iOS 7 will automatically keep your apps up to date. More than 50 billion apps have been downloaded from the App Store to date, offering customers an incredible range of apps in 23 categories, including newspapers and magazines in Newsstand, games and entertainment, business, news, sports, health and fitness, and travel.
iOS 7 will be available as a free software update starting on Wednesday, September 18, for iPhone 4, and later iPad 2, and later iPad mini and iPod touch (fifth generation). Some features may not be available on all products.
Apple designs Macs, the "best personal computers in the world," along with OS X, iLife, iWork, and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices with iPad.
Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Mac OS, Macintosh, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, AirDrop, Safari, Siri, iTunes Radio, iTunes, Xcode, Touch ID, iSight, iTunes Store, FaceTime, and App Store are trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.