Passive component sector consolidates as Kyocera, AVX merge

AVX Corporation
Japan-based Kyocera has agreed to purchase the remaining shares of AVX, fully merging the passive component supplier that up to now has functioned as a partial independent U.S. company. (AVX)

Japan-based Kyocera Corp. and U.S component supplier AVX have entered into a definitive merger agreement, whereby Kyocera would acquire all the outstanding shares of common stock of AVX not already owned by Kyocera for $21.75 per share. Kyocera currently owns approximately 72% of AVX. Once the transaction closes, AVX will become a wholly owned subsidiary of Kyocera.

Should the deal go through, it would the second U.S. passive component supplier to be acquired by a Far East company in recent months. Taiwan’s Yageo Corp. acquired AVX’s rival Kemet in November in a cash transaction valued at $1.8 billion.

The $21.75 offer price represents a 44.6% premium over AVX’s closing price on November 26, 2019 (the last trading day prior to the announcement of Kyocera’s initial proposal to acquire all of the outstanding shares of common stock of AVX not owned by Kyocera).

Industry Event

Embedded Technologies Expo & Conference

Limited Passes Available - Register now and save with Early Bird Rates!

Embedded Technologies Expo & Conference is North America’s ONLY embedded event focused on helping design engineers through exhibits showcasing new and emerging products & solutions, education, training, and hands-on learning experiences. Join us in the heart of Silicon Valley - June 22-24, 2020 at the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose, CA. Use promo code FE100 for $100 off Conference Passes.

RELATED: Kemet posts loss, and is acquired by Taiwan's Yageo

Kyocera has long owned part of AVX, with the companies merging in 1990 in a stock deal, according to a report on Roskill.com. In 1995, Kyocera gave AVX partial independence by allowing 25% of it to be listed on the NYSE, while retaining the other 75%. According to the Roskill report, the move enabled AVX to function with a degree of independence as long as it delivered healthy profits and cash.

Up to 2019, passive component suppliers rode the electronics industry boom of recent years, seeing soaring demand and experiencing extended lead times for some parts. But when the industry slumped last year, the fortunes of passive component suppliers quickly reversed. Their once-robust sales and profits tumbled and once-bare inventories bloated.

Given how quickly market conditions in the passive components sector have changed, it is perhaps not surprisingly that larger, cash rich Far East companies pounced on the opportunity to acquire passive components suppliers such as AVX and Kemet, which have solid product lines and technology but have struggled financially recently.

Suggested Articles

A couple companies are starting to innovate power-through-the-air technology to power small IoT sensors for use cases in industrial settings.

Tech companies unable to generate cash will likely be out of business, clearing the market, says Siebel systems founder

Israeli company UVeye has developed contact-free, emergency-vehicle inspection systems equipped with thermal sensors to monitor fever in drivers.