AS73211 XYZ tri-stimulus color sensor from ams is said to deliver higher sensitivity and a wider choice of conversion times than any other previous device of its type. A member of the ams JENCOLOR family of color sensors, the AS73211 provides enhanced optical characteristics via filter-on-glass technology. It offers light and color measurements closely matching a typical human eye’s perception of light, as defined by the industry-standard CIE 1931 tri-stimulus model of human eye function.
The sensor measures color accurately at light levels from 0.4 lux up to 208 klux with a dynamic range of 250,000,000:1, enabling effective operation in widely varying lighting conditions, from moonlight to bright sunshine. Its high sensitivity makes it particularly suitable for precise measurements of dark objects and materials, such as black pixels on a display screen, dark skin, black paint or soil, even in low light conditions. The sensor’s 24-bit integrated light-to-digital converter offers the ability to configure the conversion time in a range from 125µs to 16s, allowing users to adjust operation for optimal balance between speed of measurement and precision.
Additionally, the AS73211’s low power consumption and an automatic power-down mode support use in low-energy and handheld applications. Applications include:
- medical and high-end professional displays, for white color balancing and display color management
- spotlights, projection systems and video wall modules, for control of power LEDs
- professional hair and skin tone analyzers
- professional and industrial color picking and matching equipment
- aviation display and lighting controls – a single AS73211 can support feedback control over the entire output range from full brightness to deeply dimmed