DALLAS, TX -- Texas Instruments introduces a 450-V linear controller that simplifies current regulation of high-voltage LED strings. The TPS92410 controller integrates a multiplier and tunable phase dimmer detection, as well as analog dimming inputs and drive circuit protection functions to ease design of downlights, fixtures and lamps powered from an offline AC or conventional DC power source.
The TPS92410 operates over a wide 9.5-V to 450-V input voltage range and functions as a standalone high-voltage LED string current regulator or pairs with TI's TPS92411 floating switch to provide power in mains AC linear direct drive applications. Together, the TPS92410 and TPS92411 feature driver and LED circuit protection while providing an inductor-free, low LED current ripple lighting solution. The TPS92410 includes an analog dimming input pin with LED shutoff to provide easy light intensity control in intelligent, MCU-based light fixtures using the ultra-low-power MSP430F5172 microcontroller or SimpleLink™ ZigBee® CC2530 wireless MCU.
Key features and benefits of TPS92410
• AC and DC applications ◦Under-voltage lockout, MOSFET over-voltage protection and thermal foldback prevent driver and LED damage during fault conditions.
• AC applications with TPS92411 ◦Compatible with legacy TRIAC and reverse phase dimmers in AC mains powered LED lighting applications.
• On-chip, internal multiplier produces very high power factor correction at greater than 0.95 with within plus or minus three percent line regulation.
About TI's floating switch architecture
TI's award-winning floating switch architecture achieves low LED current ripple performance which is comparable to switch mode power supply (SMPS) designs. The TPS92410 and TPS92411 require no inductive components for power transfer, eliminating cost and bulk, as well as simplifying the design.
Availability, packaging and pricing
Available now in volume from TI and its authorized distributors, the TPS92410 is offered in a 13-pin SOIC package and is priced at US$0.65 each in 1,000-unit quantities.
LED lighting tools and support
• The 120-V TPS92410EVM-001 and 230-V TPS92410EVM-002 light engine evaluation modules are available at US$99.00 each.
• Download the 120V or 230V TPS92410 design calculator tool to get help selecting external components.
• Predict LED current ripple with the TPS92410 PSpice transient model.
For more information, samples, and evaluation modules, visit http://www.ti.com/tps92410-pr