SAN JOSE, CA -- Engineers can achieve the industry's highest resolution and fastest sampling rate at the lowest power with the MAX11905, a20-bit, 1.6Msps successive approximation register (SAR) analog-to-digital converter (ADC) from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.
Typically, when engineers require high-precision data conversion, they turn to a delta-sigma ADC. However, to produce high precision and wide dynamic range, those ADCs must consume at least 100mW of power. In contrast, the MAX11905 SAR ADC consumes only 9mW—a 91% power savings. With this power savings comes very high (20-bit) precision and the fastest sampling (1.6Msps) rate available. The MAX11905 also integrates internal reference buffers, which reduces cost and time to market, and saves up to 50% space compared to competitive discrete solutions. With this versatility, the MAX11905 is ideal for a wide range of applications, including process control, automatic test equipment, medical instrumentation, and battery-powered devices.
• High speed: the MAX11905 enables 1.6Msps throughout with no latency and settling time limitation.
• High performance: the ADC achieves 98.3dB signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) and -123dB THD; improves static and dynamic performance; guarantees monotonic function; and provides best-in-class power consumption.
• Versatility: the SAR ADC delivers high 20-bit resolution with no missing codes, at 1.6Msps of speed, at 9mW of power, enabling flexibility in designs without compromises.
• Simplified designs: the MAX11905 integrates internal reference buffers, reducing design time and cost.
• "In the past, engineers used 24-bit delta-sigma ADCs to achieve fast acquisition with low noise and distortion," said Carmelo Morello, Senior Business Manager at Maxim Integrated. "With the MAX11905 SAR ADC, you can reach ultra-low-noise, ultra-low THD with low offset and gain drift, but now at less than 1/10 the power consumption and no settling time limitations."
• "We need very high precision and ultra-low power in portable applications, especially in the industrial and medical markets," said Susie Inouye, Research Director at Databeans. "Products that merge these benefits will propel the next generation of portable devices."
Availability and Pricing
• Available in a 20-pin, 4mm x 4mm TQFN package.
• Specified over the -40-degree Celsius to +85-degree Celsius temperature range.
• Pricing starts at $33.95 (1000-up, FOB USA).
For a datasheet, go to http://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAX11905.pdf