Microsemi’s ZL70123 radio frequency (RF) base station module for implantable devices operates in the Medical Implant Communication Service (MICS) RF band. Combined with the company's ZL70323 implant module, it provides a complete system for use in next-generation medical networks (Med-Net). Both modules are based on the latest generation of the company's ultralow power (ULP), MICS-band, radio transceiver chip.
The Med-Net radio operates in the 402 MHz to 405 MHz MICS band. Multiple ULP wake-up options are supported, including a 2.45-GHz, industrial, scientific and medical (ISM) band, wake-up option.
The existing Microsemi ZL70323 implant module implements all RF-related functions needed to deploy an implant node in a MICS-band RF telemetry system. It consumes less than 6 mA when transmitting or receiving data and consumes 10 nA when in its sleep state. The integrated antenna tuning circuit allows the module to be used with a wide range of implant antennas (as nominal antenna impedance is 100+j150 Ohms). The module includes the following blocks:
- ZL70103-based MICS-band RF transceiver with integrated matching network, SAW filters for suppression of unwanted blockers and antenna tuning
- 2.45-GHz wake-up receiver matching network
- Integrated 24 MHz reference frequency crystal
- Decoupling capacitors
The ZL70123 base station module includes all RF-related functions required to deploy external device functions in a MICS-band RF telemetry system. It is designed to meet regulatory requirements including Federal Communications Commission (FCC), European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) and International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) standards. Additional features include:
- Integrated matching network with a nominal 50 Ohm RF port;
- Bandpass filter for suppression of unwanted blockers;
- 2.45 GHz wake-up transmitter with a nominal 50 Ohm RF port; and
- Fully shielded, 18 mm × 12 mm x 3 mm package.
Microsemi's ZL70123 RF base station module is in production and available now. The company also offers an application development kit, part number ZLE70103BADA. A plethora of additional information is available.