ATLANTA, GA -- Nivis, a global leader in Smart Grid and Industrial Wireless networking, announced that the company will open source its ISA100.11a and WirelessHART software platforms. Nivis is the only company in the world with both ISA100.11a and WirelessHART stacks certified by their respective governing standards bodies. The new Nivis open source model will give universities, systems integrators, OEMs, end users, enthusiasts and startups alike a unique opportunity to build on the industry-standard Nivis ISA100.11a and WirelessHART software platforms.
The open source offering will include all software components for both ISA100.11a and WirelessHART:
- ISA100.11a: Field Device, Backbone Router, Gateway, System Manager and Security Manager
- WirelessHART: Field Device, Access Point, Gateway, Network Manager and Security Manager
"The open source model that Nivis has chosen to adopt has proven to be a strong stimulant to innovation and adoption in other technology segments," said Doug Johns, CEO of Nivis. "We expect the same result with industrial wireless networking. Our goal is to get the technology into more users' hands, faster, which we expect will stimulate the whole market."
Nivis will utilize a hybrid model, in which the core software is freely available, with Nivis selling a complete suite of supporting services and hardware, which will include:
- Software Maintenance
- Professional Services - Consulting and Support
- ATEX Zone 2 Gateways (VersaRouter 900)
- OEM Gateway Modules (VersaRouter 800)
- Radio Modules (VersaNode 210, 220, 310)
- Hardware Reference Designs
- Development Kits
- Handheld Provisioning Tools
- Network Simulation Devices
The ISA100.11a and WirelessHART open source software will be available as follows:
- Enterprise version - April 15, 2013
- Developer version - May 15, 2013
- Open source forums available on the Nivis Web site - May 15, 2013
Founded in 1998, Nivis is a leader in open standard wireless sensing and control network technologies, including 6LoWPAN, ISA100.11a, and WirelessHART. Nivis technologies are field-proven and at work today inside some of the largest smart metering and industrial wireless OEMs. Nivis serves customers in 30 countries worldwide from its U.S. headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia and its European offices in Romania.