TDK’s InvenSense CORONA motion sensor family includes what the maker calls the world’s first triple interface six-axis IMU that supports two OIS camera modules simultaneously. The ability to support image stabilization of 2 smartphone camera modules from a single IMU is the most cost-effective way to enable image stabilization concurrently in both dual-rear and rear-front smartphone cameras configuration, while the reduced sensor noise figures and improved temperature stability of the CORONA IMUs, along with the unique ability to synchronize motion samples, improves the image quality substantially.
The six-axis IMUs provide the ability to extend the dynamic range and measurement resolution of the sensed motion signals. This capability improves the accuracy of fast motion measurements and the granularity of slow-motion measurements, both of which are critical for the fidelity and user experience of AR/VR applications, especially in combination with lower noise and improved temperature stability.
The sensors extend the exposure time during low-light recording, bringing the performance of DLSR cameras to the smartphone market. Supporting the emergence of indoor navigation for smartphones and autonomous movement for a variety of IoT devices is an additional key application for the CORONA sensor family. The ability to maintain precise orientation greatly benefits from the reduced sensor noise figures and improved temperature stability of the CORONA IMUs, enabling a 2x improvement of heading accuracy.
In a nutshell, features of the CORONA sensor product line include:
- Lowest gyroscope and accelerometer noise, fundamental for OIS image stabilization, AR/VR system accuracy and autonomously moving devices
- First motion sensor with 2 auxiliary OIS interfaces, necessary to support image stabilization in 2 camera modules
- Best gyroscope temperature stability, critical to maintain precise motion measurement in image stabilization and AR/VR subsystems
- Only motion sensor that can synchronize samples to eliminate critical timing errors, essential to enable image stabilization for high-quality, low-light video recordings
- Highest motion measurement range and resolution, indispensable for accurate measurement of head/hand movement in gaming and virtual reality applications
- Most versatile HW pedometer with hosted algorithm support, which eliminates the tradeoff between application performance and power consumption
You can get more details by visiting TDK’s motion-sensor page.