SANTA CLARA, CA -- Marvell announces the industry's first 802.11ac Wave-2 4x4 processor, the Marvell® Avastar 88W8964, featuring 160 MHz bandwidth and Multi-User, Multiple Input and Multiple Output (MU-MIMO) support. The new industry-leading solution achieves 2.6 Gbps peak data rate for high speed, secure and reliable access points and smart gateways.
"Marvell once again demonstrates its leadership position by delivering another industry-first Wi-Fi solution. Our award-winning Wi-Fi technology marks a new era in the wireless industry and enables high performance, secure and reliable smart access points and gateways for service providers, enterprise and residential applications," said Weili Dai, President and Co-Founder of Marvell. "I am very thankful to our dedicated team of engineers for their continuous innovation and contribution to the industry and for once again raising the technology bar."
The widespread adoption of Wi-Fi-enabled devices requires faster, more efficient and reliable wireless that enables fast and seamless connectivity. Compared to its predecessor, 802.11n, 802.11ac offers a greater than five-fold increase in Wi-Fi throughput and three times the power efficiency when processing high-speed loads. Additionally, the Wave-2 4x4 SoC configuration is the baseline architecture for best-of-breed enterprise, retail and service provider network infrastructures for reliable delivery and distribution of 4K Ultra HD multimedia content. By combining the advanced 4x4 MU-MIMO solution with Marvell's market-proven beamforming technology and 802.11ac support, the 88W8964 enhances the company's stronghold in routers, residential broadband gateways, set-top boxes and enterprise access points.
Key Features of Marvell's Avastar 88W8964 SoC include:
• 802.11ac Wave-2 with 160 MHz Bandwidth and MU-MIMO: This standard significantly increases bandwidth available over the Wi-Fi link and network capacity for densely populated environments, extending wireless capabilities to a variety of new use cases such as real-time video streaming and wireless back-up. With built-in 802.11ac 160 MHz support, Marvell's 88W8964 chip delivers up to 2.6 Gbps of peak data rate and is ideal for enterprise access points and multi-stream 4K Ultra HD IPTV streaming in the home. MU-MIMO allows simultaneous and concurrent sessions from one access point to several client devices.
• Beamforming: Beamforming, a specialized method of radio-frequency transmission that can be integrated across a range of devices from access points to laptops and smartphones, greatly improves link robustness and wireless performance, enabling, for instance, the seamless streaming of HD video in locations where devices could previously maintain only minimal connection to the network. Marvell is unique to offer support for both implicit and explicit beamforming, which improves the performance of existing devices in the network. In addition, beamforming increases the battery life of any device connected to the 88W8964 chip.
• 802.11mc: 802.11mc provides precision location capability that will enable new avenues for revenue generation and improved return on investment for enterprise and service provider customers.
Additional Product Highlights:
• Spectrum Intelligence to enhance user experience and reduce customer service costs of service providers
• Powerful Wi-Fi offload engine, freeing up host CPU resources for service provider's applications
• Low Density Parity Check (LDPC), which enables low latency, high throughput connections
For more info, go to http://www.marvell.com