STMicroelectronics’ HVLED001B all-in-one LED control chip promises to save more energy and deliver better user experiences. According to its maker, the controller simplifies designing LED-lighting modules, maximizes energy efficiency at all dimming levels, and ensures smoother brightness control.
The HVLED001B is the second generation of ST’s LED driver family containing high-voltage startup and sensing circuitry that simplifies connection to the AC line. Features include:
- Support for multi-platform reuse and compliance with the latest lighting regulations
- Very accurate line and load regulation over wide range to ensure constant output voltage or output current
- Constant output voltage regulation, with no need of an optocoupler, to ensure voltage remains below recognized 60V safe limit, improving the application robustness
- Frequency foldback for improved efficiency and regulation at light load with good efficiency at medium load
- Accurate and smooth dimming
- Power-conversion efficiency greater than 90%
- No-load power consumption less than 100mW
- Power factor greater than 0.9, Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) below 10%
- Low EMI at light load and medium load
- Built-in over-current, input over-voltage, brownout, and optocoupler failure protection
- Smart Auto-Reload Timer (ART) ensures latch-free protection for enhanced safety
The HVLED001B is in production now, housed in a SSOP10 package Price starts at $0.687 each/1,000. For more details, spend some time with the HVLED001B datasheet.