Insure.com’s annual rankings for the most and least expensive vehicles to insure found two Honda vehicles, the Odyssey LX and the CR-V LX, topping the least expensive list, and the Dodge Viper taking the top spot on the most expensive list. The Nissan Frontier S King Cab cracked the top 10 least expensive vehicles to insure – a first for a pickup truck.
After being a runner-up twice, once in 2010 and again in 2014, the family-friendly Honda Odyssey LX earned the cheapest-to-insure spot with an average rate nationwide of $1,113.
Jeep is also well represented on the list with four vehicles in the top 10: The Sport varieties of the Wrangler, Patriot, Compass and Cherokee. While the Jeep Wrangler Sport has been the king of cheap insurance for the past couple of years, it’s not surprising that a minivan is now at the top. Minivans topped the cheapest list in both 2012 (Toyota Sienna) and 2011 (Chrysler Town & Country).
The least expensive cars to insure for 2016 by Rank/Make & model/Average annual premium
1. Honda Odyssey LX - $1,113
2. Honda CR-V LX 2WD - $1,170
3. Dodge Grand Caravan AVP - $1,174
4. Jeep Patriot Sport 2 WD - $1,180
5. Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD - $1,181
6. Jeep Compass Sport 2WD - $1,190
7. Ford Escape S 2WD - $1,194
8. Buick Encore Sport Tour 2WD Turbo - $1,200
9. Jeep Cherokee Sport 2WD - $1,203
10. Nissan Frontier S King Cab Pickup 4.0L - $1,204
The most expensive cars to insure for 2016
The most expensive model to insure for 2016 is the Dodge GT Viper with a nationwide average car insurance premium of $4,048. Billed as “handcrafted in Detroit,” the Viper’s 645-horsepower, V-10 engine can propel you up to 60 mph in about 3 seconds and costs over $90,000.
Rank/Make & model/Average annual premium
1. Dodge GT Viper - $4,048
2. Mercedes SL65 AMG - $3,797
3. Mercedes S600 BI-T - $3,539
4. Mercedes S63 AMG 4Matic - $3,513
5. Porsche Panamera S Executive - $3,484
6. Nissan GT-R Nismo - $3,476
7. BMW M6 Gran Coupe - $3,309
8. LandRover Range Rover SV Autobiography Black LWB - $3,245
9. Audi RS7 Quattro Prestige - $3,229
10. Porsche 911 Carrera GT3 RS - $3,212
Compare average rates for more than 2,300 models
Average insurance rates for more than 2,300 models are available in an easy-to-use tool at Insure.com’s car insurance comparison page. You can view nationwide rates for 2016 vehicles or look at state specific average rates, and a new function allows you to compare up to 10 vehicles at once. Car insurance companies determine rates on many risk factors, including the make and model’s past claim and claim costs. However, car insurance premiums vary greatly by state since each area of the nation has different risks and claim histories.
An annual car insurance premium could cost as low as $651 for a 2016 Honda Odyssey in Maine, while the same car owner would pay $2,387 in Michigan. A Dodge Viper owner in North Carolina would pay only $2,052 – or $7,942 if living in Montana.
For more information, visit http://www.insure.com