FOXBORO, MA /BUSINESS WIRE/ -- Invensys Process Systems announced seven new wireless-enabled solutions and expanded global network implementation and support capabilities. These solutions can be deployed at both the plant and enterprise levels to improve overall industrial asset performance management.
"Since introducing Invensys' comprehensive managed-network approach to industrial wireless technology back in 2005, we've been working closely with our customers to define and implement the specific applications where wireless technology can provide the most value," commented Hesh Kagan, strategic technology director at Invensys Process Systems. "When doing so, we've been careful to consider not just the initial cost-savings and long-term benefits that wireless-enabled solutions can deliver, but also the potentially higher support costs of wireless vs. wired networks and how these support costs can be minimized through proper up-front engineering and long-term network monitoring and optimization services."
Invensys' expanding portfolio of fully engineered and supported wireless-enabled asset performance management solutions is both vendor-independent and standards-agnostic. The following solutions can operate with most vendors' products, systems, or software applications, using the most appropriate wireless standards available:
- Mobile Workforce provides employees in the field with secure roaming access to real-time control systems, enterprise applications, documents, and other information via wireless handheld devices and hardened Mil Spec and NEMA 4-rated tablet personal computers.
- Field Data Logging enables personnel to quickly and accurately upload device and equipment status and diagnostic data to maintenance systems from the field.
- Condition Monitoring uses wireless connection to remote sensors to provide incremental measurements (e.g., tank levels, temperatures, pH, and vibration) to provide a richer real-time database to support highly effective model-based predictive maintenance strategies. The solution integrates with Invensys' InFusion Condition Manager, Avantis EAM, and third-party computerized maintenance management programs.
- Asset Tracking uses RFID technology to provide accurate identification and location of fixed and rolling assets, with optional visualization on a handheld device. The solution supports E-pedigree asset tracking for life sciences.
- Physical Security provides flexibility to implement any combination of mobile video, fixed surveillance cameras (with or without access controls), intrusion detectors, and proximity sensors as required to cost-effectively extend the reach of physical security throughout a single building, plant, complex, or series of complexes. The solution also stablishes a framework for regulatory compliance.
- Personnel Safety provides a practical and cost-effective means to accurately identify physical location of personnel in real time, notify first responders of safety shower activation, provide "man-down" notification for emergency services, and remote evacuation alarming. The solution also helps safeguard employees and visitors and ease compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Communications provide secure integration of multiple wireless technologies (including both VoIP and high-speed backhaul communications) to cost-effectively connect people, facilities, and systems. The standards-compliant solution set integrates with existing IT infrastructure and systems.
Invensys wireless-enabled applications are in various stages of implementation at customer plants around the world. This includes a large chemical complex on the U.S. Gulf coast, petroleum refineries in the U.S. and Europe, and several U.S. power plants. Invensys is also building wireless-solution implementation capabilities for offshore production platforms and large-scale mining operations.
Invensys' rapidly expanding Enterprise Networking and Security Practice includes highly experienced IT and automation professionals based around the world and uses a proven assess/design/implement/manage lifecycle methodology to deliver consistent, measurable results for all performance services.
"While wireless networking technology offers tremendous potential for providing incremental performance improvements in today's industrial enterprises, it clearly is not for the faint of heart," said Cory Welch, Practice Director, Enterprise Network and Security Services at Invensys Process Systems. "Not only must users deal with the issues of incomplete and conflicting wireless standards, multiple—and not necessarily interoperable—vendor products, proprietary protocols, and both reliability and security issues, they also have to deal with the fact that the appropriate expertise is not always available in depth within their own organizations. It's precisely for this reason that Invensys has been working so hard to build up our global Enterprise Networking and Security Services Practice to be able to supplement our customers' IT and automation resources with world-class, value-added services expertise. Today, I can say without hesitation that Invensys is in an excellent position to help our customers identify, implement, and support our new wireless-enabled and other enterprise networking solutions anywhere in the world."
For more information on Invensys wireless-enabled solutions, readers should visit company's Web site or contact the Invensys Customer Satisfaction Center toll-free at 866-746-6477 (508-549-4834 outside the U.S. and Canada).
Invensys is a world leader in industrial asset performance management, a strategy designed to help today's industrial enterprises to effectively balance the availability and utilization of their production assets to match changing business requirements. In addition to its rapidly expanding Global Solutions and Performance Management services groups, Invensys' automation businesses includes industry-leading brands such as Foxboro, Triconex, SimSci-Esscor, Wonderware, and Avantis, whose products are installed in more than 100,000 plants across the world. These range from small hybrid and batch plants to the world's largest upstream projects, refineries, gas plants, petrochemicals plants, power plants, and pulp and paper mills.
The Invensys Group is headquartered in London and is listed on the London Stock Exchange, with approximately 30,000 employees working in 60 countries.
Invensys, InFusion, Foxboro, I/A Series, SimSci-Esscor, Triconex, Wonderware, and Avantis are trademarks of Invensys plc, its subsidiaries, or affiliates. All other brands and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.