Renesas Electronics’ latest family of automotive-grade 100V, 4A half-bridge N-channel MOSFET drivers consists of three devices: the ISL78424 and ISL78444 with single tri-level PWM input for controlling both gate drivers, and the ISL78434, which has dual independent inputs that separately control the high-side and low-side drivers. The ISL784x4 half-bridge N-MOSFET drivers complement the ISL78224 4-phase bidirectional controller, enabling it to provide up to 3kW of power and greater than 95 percent efficiency in 12V-48V converters used in mild hybrid vehicles. The ISL784x4 drivers are also well suited for 12V-24V bidirectional DC/DC converters, as well as other high current buck or boost applications.
The ISL784x4 drivers offer independent sourcing and sinking MOSFET gate drive pins. They also provide adaptive dead-time control. The adaptive-dead-time function in the ISL78424 and ISL78434 can sense at the gate of the MOSFETs, eliminating potential errors introduced by voltage drops across the external gate resistors controlling the switching node slew rate.
Other features include:
- 3A sourcing / 4A sinking output current
- Tri-level PWM input (ISL78424 and ISL78444)
- Independent HI/LI inputs (ISL78434)
- Separate source/sink pins at driver outputs (ISL78424 and ISL78434)
- Wide supply voltage range operates from 8V to 18V
- On-chip 3Ω bootstrap FET switch eliminates need for external Schottky diode
- Adaptive dead time control and programmable dead time delay with single resistor
- AEC-Q100 Grade-1 qualified and specified for operation from -40°C to +140°C
All three half-bridge drivers–ISL78424, ISL78434, and ISL78444–and evaluation boards are available now. Each device comes in a 14-lead HTSSOP package priced at $1.70 each/1,000. Need more specs? Checkout the ISL78424, ISL78434, and ISL78444 datasheets.