"There is no one killer app for fuel cells. Instead, there are dozens of niche applications that have an increasing need for the clean, reliable power that fuel cells can provide," says industry analyst Bill Matvichuk. "Over the next several years, fuel cell manufacturers must tailor their offerings to serve the specific requirements of a multitude of consumer and industrial products."
Matvichuk argues that these applications will be determined largely by the power level capabilities of the fuel cells themselves. A few examples for each of the power level segments are as follows:
- 1–20 W—consumer electronics, small appliances, toys, and remote sensors
- 20–100 W—unattended sensors, video surveillance, medical devices, and military electronics
- 100–500 W—first responder battery charging, power tools, and unmanned vehicles
- Sub 2 kW—replacement for gasoline and diesel generators, watercraft, combat support systems, and auxiliary power units
- 2-7 kW—materials handling, such as forklifts, weapon systems, causeway systems
Pike Research's report "Fuel Cells for Portable Power Applications" provides a tactical, applications-oriented analysis of the emerging market for portable fuel cells. It examines the market opportunity for specific niche applications within five key power level segments: 1–20 W, 20–100 W, 100–500 W, 1–2 kW, and 2–7 kW. The report also includes profiles of key industry players and global market forecasts through 2017. An executive summary of the report is available for free download from the firm's Web site.
About Pike Research
Pike Research is a market research and consulting firm that provides in-depth analysis of global clean technology markets. The company's research methodology combines supply-side industry analysis, end-user primary research and demand assessment, and deep examination of technology trends to provide a comprehensive view of the renewable energy, clean transportation, clean industry, green consumers, and environmental management sectors. For more information, call 303-997-7609.