CARY, NC --- FIPA Inc., introduces a custom gripper system for an injection molding machine dedicated to making automotive lighting reflectors. Designed for ZEIBINA Kunststoff-Technik GmbH, a renowned German plastics processing company, FIPA’s latest custom gripper system automates what had been a manual demolding process to protect employees from handling hot (120°C) plastic parts and improve quality by ensuring that parts are removed from their molds free of any marks or paint-wetting impairment substances (PWIS) that could potentially interfere with subsequent coating processes. The new gripper system also successfully reduces cycle times to a succinct 33 seconds, considerably increasing factory throughput.
Developed at FIPA’s main manufacturing facility in Germany, this custom gripper system is exclusively comprised of components from FIPA’s modular construction kit, including: sprue grippers that combine a high closing force for secure gripping with a soft, heat-resistant HBNR elastomer coating for blemish-free handling, finger grippers that prevent parts from laterally slipping, and sensor-enabled grippers that monitor and inform the success of the overall handling sequence.
FIPA components used to assemble the custom gripper system for ZEIBINA’s injection-molded reflector process include:
• GR04.103 sprue grippers, which feature a high-strength, anodized aluminum body and actuator jaws with both gap-free closing capabilities for small sprues and a 10mm clamping diameter to accommodate larger parts;
• GR04.103-4 interchangeable sprue gripper jaws coated with extremely soft hydrogenated nitrile butadiene rubber (HNBR), which enable the mark-free gripping of delicate components;
• GR04.101A single-acting sprue grippers with direct part detection and large area sensor activation capabilities, regardless of sprue position;
• GR04.045 35° angle stroke gripper fingers with single-action, spring return design;
• LT10 compact reflective sensors, which enable the long-range optical monitoring of workpieces, can accommodate any mounting position, and feature a small footprint, adjustable sensitivity, an LED display, and lightweight body; and a variety of clamping elements, extrusions, and profiles.