Renesas Electronics’ latest PMBus-compliant, digital dc/dc controllers provide single output point-of-load (POL) conversions for FPGAs, DSPs, ASICs, network processors and general-purpose system rails. The ISL68300 with integrated MOSFET drivers and ISL68301 with PWM output simplify designing power supplies for data center, wired and wireless communications, and factory automation equipment. The ISL68300 can drive discrete external MOSFETs directly, while the ISL68301 pairs with Renesas’ smart power stages or DrMOS power stages to create a complete voltage regulator solution.
The ISL68300 and ISL68301 digital controllers feature a current share bus that parallels up to eight controllers in an 8-phase 240A+ current share configuration. Both controllers implement the company’s digital ChargeMode control modulation, which responds to load transients in a single switching cycle, and provides an inherently stable control loop without requiring external compensation. This modulation architecture significantly reduces output capacitor requirements and minimizes Vout undershoot and overshoot.
ISL68300 and ISL68301 Features In A Nutshell
- Parallel up to eight controllers in a single droop-less current sharing output
- Output voltage range: 0.45V to 5.5V
- Input voltage range: 4.75V to 16V or 4.5V to 5.5V
- 0.5% output voltage accuracy over line, load, and temperature
- Switching frequency range of 200kHz to 1.0MHz
- Proprietary single-wire Digital-DC™ (DDC) serial bus enables voltage sequencing and fault spreading with other Renesas digital power ICs
- Cycle-by-cycle inductor peak current protection
- Configurable fault protection for Vout under voltage (UV), over voltage (OV), Vin UV/OV, and temperature
- Nonvolatile memory stores operating parameters and records telemetry fault events
The ISL68300 with integrated driver is available now in a 4 mm x 4 mm, 24-lead QFN package and priced at $2.60 each/1,000. Single-phase and 2-phase evaluation boards are available for $125 USD each. For more information, peruse the ISL68300 datasheet.
The ISL68301 with PWM output for pairing with ISL99227B smart power stages or DrMOS power stages is available now in a 4 mm x 4 mm, 24-lead QFN package and priced at $2.26 each/1,000. Single-phase and 2-phase evaluation boards are available for $125 each. For more insight, view the ISL68301 datasheet.