Strategy Analytics sees a growing market for commercial unmanned aerial systems (UAS) platforms and associated services. Led by demand from the agriculture, commercial security, and first responder sectors, the company’s report, “Commercial UAS Market Outlook 2017-2027”, forecasts the commercial UAS market will grow to over $15.1 billion by 2027.
- Globally, the market for commercial UAS platforms and associated services will be driven by the European, Asia-Pacific and North America regions and could together account for over 83% of global demand by 2027.
- The associated demand for mission sensor payloads is predicted to witness faster growth than the UAS market itself as platforms are increasingly equipped with the ability to swap multiple sensors on a plug and play basis.
- Integration of commercial UAS operations into civilian airspace will need to address several technical challenges which will include the man machine interface (MMI), Communications and Control Minimum Operating Performance Standards (C2 MOPS) and Sense-and-avoid (SAA) or detect-and-avoid (DAA) systems.
- Demand will significantly increase for dedicated sensors and associated technologies including satellite datalinks to allow beyond line of sight flight, sense and avoid systems underpinned by radar, LiDAR and EO-IR technologies and machine learning/artificial intelligence-based processing.
- The regulatory environment will be crucial in enabling the market for commercial UAS platforms.
Curiosity piqued? Then checkout the “Commercial UAS Market Outlook 2017-2027” report.