MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA --- CEVA, Inc. introduces the market’s most advanced communication DSP to meet the extreme performance requirements of multi-gigabit class modems. Capitalizing on the company’s long-standing relationships with world-leading wireless vendors and its unique expertise in DSP architecture design, the CEVA-XC12 is purpose-built from the ground up to solve the most critical challenges of efficiently implementing 5G, gigabit LTE, MU-MIMO Wi-Fi and other multi-gigabit modems. Already licensed to a leading wireless OEM, the CEVA-XC12 delivers up to 8x performance improvement and consumes 50% less power than its predecessor, the CEVA-XC4500, for a complete 5G baseband modem.
Technologies designed for wireless standards such as 5G will be capable of delivering a peak data rate of up to 20 Gbps under ultra-low latency of 1 millisecond. This is achieved utilizing innovative and extremely complex processing techniques such as Massive-MIMO and advanced 3D dynamic beamforming. DSP processors deployed for today’s LTE-Advanced Pro and multi-gigabit wireless standards are simply not capable of efficiently delivering the speed, latency and overall DSP performance required to address the massive technology leap to 5G.
The CEVA-XC12 is the industry’s first DSP architecture offering the raw performance and power efficiency that is fundamental to the success of multi-gigabit class modems. Thanks to its flexible architecture with multiple optional features, it can be custom configured and scaled to address a wide range of applications. This includes smartphones and other terminals, advanced and centralized access points, small cells, macro cells and cloud RAN (C-RAN). It supports the full gamut of 5G use cases and deployment scenarios, from 80 GHz mmWave down to 450 MHz spectrum bands. In addition to 5G, CEVA-XC12 is well-suited for the design of LTE-Advanced Pro Evolution, enhanced Mobile Broadband (eMBB), Licensed Assisted Access (LAA), MulteFire carrier aggregation and LWA (LTE/Wi-Fi Aggregation), cellular V2X, Wi-Fi 802.11ax, WiGig 802.11ad, Fixed Wireless Access (FWA) and Virtual Reality (VR) systems.
The CEVA-XC12 DSP architecture is underpinned by six key technology breakthroughs:
1. A new micro-architecture to meet very high frequency requirements and ultra-low power consumption - capable of operating at 1.8 GHz in 10 nm and 50% less power than its predecessor, the CEVA-XC4500
2. Massive computation capabilities to maintain a high bit-rate – equipped with quad-vector processor engines approaching 1 tera operations per second (TOPs) performance
3. New and unique high-precision arithmetic - achieves optimal resolution with up to 256x256 dimension matrix processing
4. New specialized instructions to boost all baseband processing components - innovative support for advanced 256 and 1024 QAM demodulation
5. New core streaming interfaces - allowing ultra-low latency transfers between cores or accelerators
6. New control plane for massive-user management and for multi-RAT (Radio Access Technology) systems - incorporates a Scalar Processing Unit with a CoreMark/MHz score of 4.4 designed to handle huge number of users required for LTE MTC and 5G IoT
The CEVA-XC12 also features a state-of-the-art cache-architecture and support for hardware coherency for seamless multi-core implementations.
The CEVA-XC12 is available for licensing now. For more information, visit http://launch.ceva-dsp.com/CEVA-XC12