IRVINE, CA -- Broadcom Corporation introduces a new development kit into its Wireless Internet Connectivity for Embedded Devices (WICED™) family to enable developers to rapidly prototype ideas and concepts for IoT devices and applications. The Broadcom® WICED Sense development kit is an all-in-one IoT prototyping kit that includes Broadcom's newest Bluetooth Smart chip, five micro electro-mechanical systems (MEMS) and has a software stack that is Bluetooth 4.1 compatible. Get WICED products here.
Broadcom's WICED Sense kit provides innovators of all sizes a cost-effective platform that minimizes set-up time and enables rapid demos of IoT concepts for hardware and software developers. By shortening the time between early ideas and end products, companies are able to deliver devices to market more quickly and with higher confidence in their success.
"With hundreds of new ideas for applications and devices for the Internet of Things being hatched daily, it is critical that developers can quickly test their concepts and bring them to market ahead of the competition," said Brian Bedrosian, Broadcom Senior Director, Embedded Wireless, Wireless Connectivity. "Broadcom's WICED Sense development kit provides an easy-to-use, low-cost and complete testing package for OEMs and start-ups alike to continue pushing the limits on technology innovation."
Broadcom's new development kit allows even non-technical designers to take advantage of the company's industry-leading Bluetooth technology and low-power MEMS sensors to build custom applications. The user can simply unbox the WICED Sense kit, download the WICED Sense application to their smartphone and then pair the two devices using Bluetooth Smart in order to start experimenting with sensor technology like direction, humidity, speed and atmospheric pressure.
Use cases range from a single sensor technology to sophisticated programs gathering and analyzing data from multiple sensors. Specific examples include:
• Set up text alert to be notified if a designated area of the home, like a child's bedroom, rises above a certain temperature by placing WICED Sense kit inside bedroom
• Find car keys by attaching them to the WICED Sense kit and using a smartphone to trigger an alarm on the tag
• Create security device for pets by attaching WICED Sense kit to collar and setting alarm on smartphone if pet wanders outside predetermined boundaries
• Correct player form by using accelerometer and E-compass sensors on WICED Sense kit that are affixed to tennis racket
• Maintain proper levels of humidity in the home by using WICED Sense kit to monitor moisture levels and send an alert if levels are too high or too low
Key Features of the WICED Sense Development Kit:
• WICED Sense development kit includes: ◦Broadcom BCM20737 Bluetooth Smart system in package (SiP) module
Five low-power MEMS sensors:
• Gyroscope to enable motion control, gaming and GPS
• Accelerometer to enable impact recognition and vibration monitoring
• E-compass to enable map rotation, position detection and motion activated applications
• Barometer for altimeter, weather station equipment and smart watches
• Humidity and temperature for home automation products, air conditioning, heating and ventilation
• Certified by Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Conformité Européenne (CE) and TELEC
• Micro USB connector to speed up and simplify application updates
• Secure Over-the-air (OTA) download capability to enable firmware updates from central device including smartphone, tablet and personal computer (PC)
• Encryption, decryption, certificate signing, verification and various algorithms for increased privacy
• Support for iOS and Android OS
• Support for iBeacon™ technology
• Integrated software to enable direct connect to NFC tag
• Support for up to eight simultaneous master/slave connections
The Broadcom WICED Sense Kit is currently available through Broadcom's network of distribution partners for $19.99. The WICED Sense application is currently available on the App Store here. For more info, visit http://www.broadcom.com/WICEDSense