Want your smartphone to be your primary care physician? Well, I would not advise that, however MediaTek may have a good step in that direction in terms of monitoring one’s basic vitals. MediaTek Sensio debuts as the first 6-in-1 smartphone biosensor module.
MediaTek Sensio is a powerful advanced health monitoring solution that tracks heart rate information, blood pressure trends, peripheral oxygen saturation levels, and a few other parameters. Available as an embedded module in smartphones, the device enables a quick check and monitoring of physical wellness on a common device.
MediaTek Sensio MT6381 is a comprehensive software and module solution designed specifically to deliver valuable health data, consisting of optical, electrical and processing components. The customizable, compact solution means device manufacturers have the flexibility to embed the MediaTek Sensio module directly into all types of smartphones, versus using multiple sensors. With MediaTek Sensio, manufacturers can develop proprietary applications or leverage third-party applications and developer add-ons.
The module uses light emitting diodes (LEDs) in conjunction with a light sensitive sensor to measure the absorption of red and infrared light by the user's fingertips. By touching a device's sensors and electrodes with your fingertips, MediaTek Sensio creates a closed loop between your heart and the biosensor to measure ECG and PPG waveforms. Watch how MediaTek Sensio works.
Sensio delivers six key health data points in about 60 seconds:
- Heart-rate -- MediaTek Sensio measures heart beats per minute.
- Heart-Rate Variability -- MediaTek Sensio measures variation in the time between heartbeats.
- Blood Pressure Trends -- MediaTek Sensio measures blood pressure trends so users can see a range of data over a period.
- Peripheral Oxygen Saturation (SpO2) -- MediaTek Sensio measures the amount of oxygen in the blood.
- Electrocardiography (ECG) -- MediaTek Sensio measures the electrical activity of the heart over a period and displays it in graph form.
- Photo plethysmography (PPG) -- MediaTek Sensio measures the change in volume of blood.
The MT6381 includes:
- Integrated R and IR LEDs for reflective PPG measurement + 1-channel ECG analog front-end
- Compact 6.8 mm x 4.93 mm x 1.2 mm OLGA 22-pin package
- Total External BOM: 4 caps + 2 electrodes
- I2C /SPI digital interface
MediaTek Sensio will be available beginning in early 2018. Is your heart pumping in anticipation of more details? Learn more now.
Disclaimer: MediaTek Sensio and related software is neither an end product nor intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions, or in the cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of disease. There are inherent limitations in MediaTek Sensio and related software and other factors that may affect the accuracy of the information and data provided by MediaTek Sensio and related software, including heart rate readings, such as environmental conditions, skin conditions, specific activities performed, designs or settings of the device, sensor placement, and other end-user interactions.