SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- Basis, an Intel company, announces the next generation Basis Peak fitness and sleep tracker. Featuring a sleek new touchscreen design and improved sensor technology, Peak provides 24/7 heart rate monitoring, including during exercise, without the need for a chest strap. With Peak, Basis carries through its unique combination of automatic activity tracking, advanced sleep analysis and a healthy habits user experience designed to enable real behavior change, delivering the most comprehensive picture of fitness and sleep of any product in the category.
Available in November, Basis Peak will retail for $199.99 and builds upon previous Basis models to provide better performance, increased functionality and an improved physical design. In developing Peak, Basis has reengineered its optical heart rate engine with more powerful sensor design for improved accuracy and consistency. Peak also continuously monitors movement, perspiration and skin temperature. This multi-sensor approach, combined with Basis' BodyIQ technology, enables Peak to automatically detect walking, running, biking, sleep phases, sleep quality and more. Even with these sensors working 24/7, Peak maintains a battery life of up to four days, a challenge for many other wearable devices on the market today. Peak boasts water resistance to 5ATM, enough to withstand swimming, and is capable of displaying smartwatch notifications, like incoming calls and texts, from an iOS or Android phone, a feature that will be introduced in the future.
"Since our first product, Basis has continued to set a high standard of rich data and insights for both fitness and sleep," said Jef Holove, general manager of Basis. "Now with Peak, we've achieved an even higher level of performance and extended functionality, delivering an all-in-one device to help people live healthier day and night, at work or working out."
"As we drive innovation in wearable technology, Intel is confident that the technology improvements in the next generation Basis product help deliver on that promise," said Michael Bell, corporate vice president and general manager of Intel's New Devices Group. "With the introduction of Peak, Basis has expanded the boundaries of what a fitness and sleep tracker can do by delivering truly actionable information and data to its users that changes and improves their daily habits."
Integrating Advanced Technology in a Sleek Design
Peak incorporates extensive technology and engineering improvements while leveraging the best of Basis' advanced fitness and sleep tracking capabilities. Features include:
• Intelligent Activity and Sleep Tracking with BodyIQ - The intelligence built into the original Basis fitness and sleep tracking system will carry over into Peak. This includes its BodyIQ technology, with proprietary algorithms, that allows for automatic tracking of sleep and physical activities (walking, running and biking) as well as Advanced Sleep Analysis which includes REM, Deep and Light Sleep, Toss-and-Turn, Interruptions and Sleep Quality.
• Premium and Customizable Design - Peak sports a sleek design and forged aluminum body with a Gorilla Glass 3TM touch screen – water resistant to 5ATM – and soft breathable silicone straps that are customizable. Basis will initially offer Peak in two options: a matte black module with black and red-accented straps, and a brushed silver module with white and gray-accented straps. Standard 23mm watch strap attachments also allow users to customize with a band of their choice.
• Healthy Habits System - Not only will Peak continue to automatically track healthy activities, but it will award credit through the Basis healthy habits system, designed to help users incorporate small, healthy changes to their daily routines. Helping users set tangible goals like going to sleep at the same time each night or standing up from their desk once an hour during the day, the healthy habits system automatically adjusts based on a user's progress to ensure that goals are reachable, and habits sustainable.
• Smartwatch Notifications - Peak is capable of displaying smartwatch notifications, including alerts for incoming calls and texts, from an iOS or Android smartphone. This feature will be a free future upgrade to all Peak customers, and these notification capabilities will be expanded over time. The band is also equipped with a vibration motor for such alerts.
• Optimized for Mobile - The Basis iOS and Android apps will power device set-up and display data throughout the day. In addition to basic metrics such as steps, calories, and BodyIQ fitness and sleep activities, the mobile app will display rich sleep, activity and habit insights to keep users on track.
For more information about Basis Peak, visit http://www.mybasis.com